Early this year, the UC Berkeley Startup Competition welcomed Guy #Kawasaki to the Haas School of Business. Kawasaki, former chief evangelist of Apple and co-founder of Garage Technology Ventures, covered all stages of a #startup from inception to exit.
Focus on the Prototype rather than the Powerpoint.
Eleven mistakes that Web Startups make....
- Multiplying the market by 1% as worst case
- Scaling too soon because you think you are a rock star
- Partnering is bullshit, the focus of the entrepreneur is sales
- You have a Powerpoint pitch, but you do not have a prototype
- Using too many slides, using too small font
- Doing things one at a time (serially)
- Believing that 51% is winner
- Believing patents will protect you
- Hiring your people like you
- Befriending your venture capitalists
- Thinking that venture capitalists can add value.