Friday, November 02, 2012

Never Negotiate Unless Forced To

Talking with a group of creatives today, all of whom are being forced to rethink their ways of production. Subsidies are drying up - in fact if you're building a production business in the hope that any sector of government is going to embrace your plan and give you money without requiring destructive influence, then you're kidding yourself.



I also feel that many creatives are very poor negotiators, often underestimating their value and then working through the nights and weekend to make up for offering extras that the other party now regards as part of the deal. I confess I thought the same thing when I started my consultancy ten years ago this week. Boy, did I learn the hard way. In the past I have been inspired by people like Alan McCarthy. All power to his approach. 

No comments:

ShareThis